I've had some Death Guard figures since the release of the new version of 40k, and they have been living in their box ever since. They have occasionally ventured out for me to wistfully think about what I was going to do with them, and how they would go together if combined with the Putrid Blightking miniatures from Age of Sigmar.
I finally cracked and decided to build and paint one Death Guard just to see if a paint scheme I had in mind would work. I am still working my way through my Fimir, but as I had come to the end of painting the skin on the 12th of these and hadn't moved on to the next six, this seemed like a perfect opportunity to give this a go.
After building the miniature and undercoating it black, the first paint to be applied was the Games Workshop technical paint Typhus Corrosion. This paint is quite thin, and has tiny little bits in it. These bits help when it comes to drybrushing the rust colour on, which we'll come to in a bit.
Next I game the armour plates of the model another coat of Typhus Corrosion, to really emphasise the the decay that the armour has gone through.
Next was an all over drybrush of Ryza Rust, another of the Games Workshop technical paints. For this stage I applied two really light drybrushes, as going over the top on the first pass would have made the model very orange. Doing a number of light drybrushes allowed me to get the amount of rust just right. Starting with a large brush, and then using a smaller one to get to the parts the bigger brush couldn't reach.
The next stage was all the metal work, which would be brass. This was the same technique I have used on my Fimir. A Balthasar Gold base coat...
Then a wash of Druchii Violet...
Next a coat of Balthasar Gold again, leaving the shaded areas alone at this point, then a highlight of Sycorax Bronze and then a final highlight of Stormhost Silver.
The areas of bone were next, these are mainly spikes that jut out of the armour. These were done with a basecoat of Ushabti Bone, a wash of Agrax Earthshade, and then highlighted up with Ushabti bone with increasing amounts of white added, all the way up to pure bone.
This particular Death Guard has a severed head hanging from its belt. This was done with a base coat of Cadian Fleshtone, Reikland Fleshshade wash, and then highlighted up adding increasing amounts of Ushabti bone to the Fleshtone base colour.
The smoke rising from the backpack was done using techniques from the Duncan video for Warpflame This began by basecoating the flame with Ceremite White, and then giving the flame a light wash of Waywatcher Green. I then gave the flame a second coat of Waywatcher, but more towards the tip of the flame. Finally the tips of the flame were done with Moot Green and a final touch of Caliban Green.
The Death Guard's blade was done next. Base coated with Caliban Green and shaded with Nuln Oil.
The sword was then highlighted up with Warpstone Glow, Warboss Green and finally Nurgling Green. This is essentially the same way I painted the Dark Green Marine armour on the bases of my Tyranids.
The penultimate stage is the chipping on the armour, and this may be something I'll come back to. The edges of the armour, especially the places that I thought would most likely get some wear and tear, were painted with Runefang Steel. I may go back and add a bit more metal later on when I paint up some more of the squad.
Finally, I added some Nurgles Rot, another Technical paint. This was placed in areas where the most prevalent dents and cuts were in the armour, and gives the feel that puss is running from the most damaged parts of the plates.
Well that's how I painted my test Death Guard. I did add some Agrellan Badland to the base, but for some reason it did not crackle. I'll look more into this when I get around to painting the rest of the squad, which I have built. But first, back to the Fimir.